THE APPLICATION WINDOW FOR THIS AWARD IS NOT YET OPEN.
The Marvin Easter Memorial Flight Instructor Award
Marvin Easter next to an Ohio State Piper Cherokee
Professor Marvin Easter served as an OSU Aviation faculty member, 1958-79, and was a revered chief flight instructor. He received faculty emeritus status upon his retirement in 1979. In 1984, he returned to OSU Aviation and taught Flight Education courses into the 1990’s. In 1988 he was inducted into the NAFI Flight Instructor Hall of Fame. The award is funded by gifts to the OSU Foundation Fund No. 316644 and is managed by the OSU Aviation Alumni Society (AAS) Board of Governors. The fund was established in 2019 with an initial cash gift from Timothy E. Heron, Ed.D., CFII, and member of the AAS.
The Marvin Easter Memorial Flight Instructor Award, presented annually by the OSU Aviation Alumni Society, recognizes the noteworthy accomplishments of an OSU Flight Instructor student, or an OSU Flight Instructor who received FAA flight instructor certification through the OSU Flight Education Program.
- Possesses FAA commercial pilot and instrument rating certification, with appropriate FAA medical certification.
- Is a student enrolled in the OSU Flight Instructor-Airplane Flight Laboratory Course, or an OSU Flight Instructor who received the Flight Instructor-Airplane FAA airman certification through the aforementioned course within the twenty-four months prior to being selected to receive the award.
- Completes the on-line application process by submitting the following documents on the OSU Aviation Alumni Society website: www.OSUAviationAlumni.org/cfi .
- Completed Application.
- Signed cover letter stating the applicant's goals as a Flight Instructor.
- Signed letter of recommendation from a person within the aviation community who can attest to the applicant's aviation knowledge, skills, experiences, and potential or actual abilities as a flight instructor.
- Copy of the candidate’s FAA airman and medical certificates.
2021 Award Amount: $TBD
- Application Open: TBD
- Application Deadline: TBD
- Award Presentation: TBD, based on university and governmental restrictions
Questions? Email AviationAlumni@osu.edu
Non-Members: After clicking on "Award Application" above and completing and saving the
"Contact Information" page,
you will be taken to the "Award Application" page to submit the application.